Translate

Thursday, August 7, 2014

They all look so serious , for a wedding.

This is the wedding photo.of Harry Clifford Scofield and Sarah Rosina Cook, both seated at the front, both are from old Wivenhoe Families.
Also in the photo. is Sarah's Sister Ethel Hillyard (nee Cook) on the far left and standing beside her is William Hillyard. The date is 1906.

Does anyone know who the other people are?

Hello John, I was most interested to be sent a link to your blog by Nick Sheen in Australia. I haven't done much research on my Wivenhoe side for a while and so hadn't seen it before.

My great grandmother was Ruth Mary Cook, born in 1871, the youngest daughter of George and Eliza Jane Cook of Denton Terrace. Eliza Jane was George's second wife, his first being Rosina Pullen. I think most of the pictures you have from Nick are of the children from the first marriage.

It would be good to identify some of the other family members in the Wedding photo. One would assume that the man standing behind the bride with his hand on her shoulder, would be her father, George. However, I have a photo I was told was of him and Eliza Jane ( and does seem to be taken outside the Denton Terrace house),  and it is not the same man.



Ruth married Henry Richard Brown ( Dick ) born in Newington, London and my grand mother, Gladys was born in 1902  in Denton Terrace, although the family lived in Clapham, she went home to have her baby.
When my mother was a baby my grand mother contracted Polio and spent three years in hospital. For that time my mother was sent to live with Georgina Terry, the daughter of her aunt, Hephizibah Cook/ Hall. I understand that at some point during the 1940s and 1950s Stephen Hall ran a sweet shop in West Street.

My mother was also sent to Wivenhoe during the war and we continued to visit my great grandparents, who moved to Rectory Road  in the 1950s until my great grand father moved in with us around 1960.

I would be interested to see if anyone recognises the people in the photos. Please use them if you would like to.



All the best,  Mary Player.
Thanks Mary for all the information .I am sure someone will pick this one up

Thanks to Nick Sheen (Western Australia). for the start of this thread.


 Further to my comment about George being Rosina's father, he would actually have been her grandfather. Although they would both have been alive at the time of the marriage. Mary P.

The younger couple are my great grandparents, Dick and Ruth Brown. As far as I know the older couple are her parents ,George and Eliza Jane Cook outside their house in Denton Terrace. Mary P.


I should have said Sarah Rosina above. Mary P.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The younger couple are my great grandparents, Dick and Ruth Brown. As far as I know the older couple are her parents ,George and Eliza Jane Cook outside their house in Denton Terrace. Mary P.

Anonymous said...

Further to my comment about George being Rosina's father, he would actually have been her grandfather. Although they would both have been alive at the time of the marriage. Mary P.

Anonymous said...

I should have said Sarah Rosina above. Mary P.