Translate

Saturday, November 15, 2014

The Hinds Head pub in High St. 1586

The will of Robert Fraunce of Wivenhoe 1586.

To my Son John my copyhold in Elmstead called Kings;my freehold in Elmstead called Harpers.
i have surrendered as the custom of the Manor  My freehold in Wivenhoe Stree(High Street)called the "Hinds Head "the earliest known pub in Wivenhoe; and my freehold which lyeth on Wivenhoe Heath called Wolves Land; ;all within 1 year of my decease;Joan my Wife to have them for 1 year.  To my copyhold on Wivenhoe Heath called benites alias Gouges for her life ;for the better effecting of my gifts and bequeathments'  i have surrendered the copyholds to Erkenwald Tyler and William Abell being tenants  and John Miller in the stead of the Lord's Bailiff.  To my Daughter Bridget £66 13 shillings and 4 pence at Marriage; if she die before , to be divided between my 2 Sons John and William.   To The poor of Wivenhoe 3 shillings and 4 pence.  The residue of my goods to my Wife whom i make my ex'rix, i ordain Jeremy urges supervisor  wit. Erkenwald Tyler. Cuthbert Micerne, John Miller     PR.16 April (1586)

F.G. Emmison. Essex Gentry Wills.

Wivenhoe Memories collection.

No comments: