Translate

Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Water water everywhere.

The high tide at wivenhoe before the barrier was built,so this must be about 1980's .George the  manager and his wife were from the Newcastle area.

 I remember it flooding like that on my first walk to Wivenhoe near the end of October 198's - before the barrier was completed. As I went to the sea wall footpath a bloke warned me that it would be a high Autumn tide, but it didn't look that bad so I carried on (oops! I had just arrived here as a green young student) - on the way back the same bloke offered to give me a piggy (declined) back over Bethany Street (and I am convinced it was the local legend Billy the Fish). The water on the front was higher than on your picture, but a couple of local kids were enjoying trying to ride their bikes through it! Cheers. Hazel
left click on image for super size.

 Apparently my great-grandmother, who lived on West Street, I think, used to cut a notch into the leg on her kitchen table to show where the level of the tide had come up to! (and that would be... well I suppose in the 1910s and 1920s).Helen Barrell.



1 comment:

Helen Barrell said...

Apparently my great-grandmother, who lived on West Street, I think, used to cut a notch into the leg on her kitchen table to show where the level of the tide had come up to! (and that would be... well I suppose in the 1910s and 1920s).