Translate

Monday, January 12, 2015

The will of William Frauncis of Wivenhoe Jan 1561 in the reign of Queen Elizabeth 1st.


To the poor folk of Wivenhoe 20s.To be delivered to the collector of the poor.  I give for part of the charges of the healing of widow Webb's son's legs 5 shillings.  To mother Banks3s4d.  I will that at the day of my burial there be given to the poor 6s8d.  To repairing of the church at Wivenhoe 5shillings.  To Margaret my Wife my house in Alresford called Ford House with the Appurtenances for her life, on condition that she makes no claim to any of my lands in Wivenhoe .  To her my household stuff as she bought with her , her apparel and my first wife's apparel, 20 marks ,and 3 good beasts.

To my maid Joan Peacock my dun bullock.  To Edward Able and his Wife of Ardleigh my copyhold in Wivenhoe  called Christophers for their lives; after their decease, to my godson William Able; if he live not , to be divided among his brothers and sisters.  To Edward Able and his Wife a pan and brass pot; to their five children each 3 sheep, and to Edward an old flock bed.  To Ralph Keler and his Wife of Lawford my house in Wivenhoe called the Rose and the tenement adjoining it; to his three children each three sheep .  To my Son Robert Frauncis my two houses called Choises and Gowges, my house and ground in Wivenhoe called Hamons , and my greater house in Wivenhoe street(High street) that i bought of Richard Buller  which sometime John Southern's.  to my younger son thomas  my little house by the chantry house which i bought of Richard Buller.  To Thomas after my Wife's decease my tenement in Alresford called Ford House and my house in Wivenhoe called Hubbards .  To him all such household stuff as is mine which is at my house called the Rose.  To my eldest son Robert my grove in Elmstead which is freehold , it abutteth on Henry Heckford and John Chase.My Executors.  To the four men who will bear my body to the church each 12d.

I make Robert and Thomas my executors.  The rest of my goods to them equal portions .  I make John Chase of Elmstead my supervisor, and for his pains 6s8d.  Witnesses James Adams,Thomas Smthe, John Wakeringe, William Leye, William Bates.

From Essex wills of Elizabethan life bt F,G. Emmison.


No comments: